Monday, June 23, 2008

June 23, 2008

The second week begins. We are now three less volunteers but just as motivated. At the 7 A. M. breakfast meeting, Carl hashes out the week´s schedule with opportunities to visit homes of students and evening classes.

We have a different driver this morning--maybe we wore out Arturo. In the van, the group (team) seems lively and energetic, for a Monday. The air is always cool and refreshing in the morning, the best part of the day.

My first period assignment was tutoring but no students came. Later I went to Bere and Eve´s classes. Students always listen keenly but sometimes it takes a while for them to open up. Generally about the time I am getting more students to speak, the session ends. I just hope this exposure will help them become more confident for the next time. My last two groups were more talkative. We had some great laughs together, humor being the best communicator. Example: Question: What book are you reading now? Answer: Playboy. I enjoy talking sports to some of the boys. One student played NCAA football in Miami, Florida last year.

For lunch Carl took the team to a local "fonda." This is a small mom and pop restaurant. The cook didn´t now we were coming but she adjusted quickly and accommodates with a smile. I thought the restaurant looked clean and cheery with flowers, curtains and a children´s area. Food was served quickly. I look forward to eating there again.

Jan and I were taken out to lunch by Gonzalo and Raul who teach in the IT program at UTEQ. We went to a local taco restaurant. I ate 4 spicy tacos which surprised Raul and Gonzalo. We enjoyed great adult conversation for over 2 hours, which ran the gamut from politics to Apple computers. It was the end to a perfect day.

0 comments: